Friday, May 23, 2008

The First One of the Season

Last night I saw a sure sign that summer is just around the corner. I spotted my first lightning bug (or firefly as they are also known) of the season down near the pond. Technically they are neither a 'true' bug nor a fly but a beetle. In colloquial terms a beetle is considered a 'bug' so I guess that is close enough. I think lightning bug is more of a Southern term while elsewhere they are called a fireflies.

Regardless of the name they are always a special treat when they emerge during the late spring. Even though I have never kept a record of when the lightning bugs appear each year it seems that they appeared a little bit later this year than they normally do. Most years I am surprised when they show up, but this year I have been watching for them for a week or two already.

I've always thought that lightning bugs bring a sense of magic to late spring and early summer evenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by to visit our little pond. We would love to see you again real soon.